SolAngel FanForums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Has Solange Fufilled Geffens Needs?

+3
KrayzieT
Ashanti
Moemoe
7 posters

Go down

Has Solange Fufilled Geffens Needs? Empty Has Solange Fufilled Geffens Needs?

Post by Moemoe Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:50 am

I knew it would be brought up sooner or later. I think Gefen has been VERY VERY VERY generous with promo. She probably got more then Kelly and Michelle, dont start comparisons btw, Her album also sold PRETTY well. Not as well as the promo she did, but well for the standards that NO ONE KNOWS HER AT ALL! But the thing is if hopefull she gets more singles, or maybe even with Sandcastle Disco, she should ONLY focus on America! If she does that and hopefully the album picks up, then she will have gotten her name across and she would be established enough to start working domesticly, and internationaly... But her #1 priority even more then selling records or making music is to get people to know her and to get them MORE interested in her. But as of now she has sold enough to the point where she hasnt put Geffen in loss but she hasnt majorly profited them, but what they got was probably enough for her to continue to get some promo. Lets keep our fingers crossed the TONY and SD pick up excellently... Maybe even ID has some life in it....
Moemoe
Moemoe
Just joined
Just joined

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-09-17

Back to top Go down

Has Solange Fufilled Geffens Needs? Empty Re: Has Solange Fufilled Geffens Needs?

Post by Ashanti Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:56 am

i dont think she really cares much, its hard to explain...
i mean not that she doesnt care, but im sure she doesnt want to be as big as we really want her to be.
Ashanti
Ashanti

Number of posts : 133
Personal text : cosmic journey
Registration date : 2008-08-25

http://www.myspace.com/ashantibody

Back to top Go down

Has Solange Fufilled Geffens Needs? Empty Re: Has Solange Fufilled Geffens Needs?

Post by KrayzieT Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:52 pm

How do you know what the needs of the label are? On every label, there are artists that either sell mega millions and some that fail. Yes Solange has gotten alot of promo, but her music isn't mainstream either so it will take some time. She has said over and over again that her priority isn't sales. Geffen is her distribution label, and she is signed to musicworld. Either way she will still put albums out no matter what. Labels have had artists on their labels for YEARS where the fail to go even gold time and time again and they are still on the roster. So I don't think Geffen may even have a problem with what she sells or not, cause Geffen has a couple of them too
KrayzieT
KrayzieT
Fan
Fan

Number of posts : 58
Personal text : I was the one, yes I was the 1
Registration date : 2008-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by kendra Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:03 pm

An international audience is your most loyal audience. Americans tend to get mixed up in politics and negative press then often make a decision based on that. I'm confident that with the successful sales Geffen is pleasantly surprised. They're in the business and are aware that this woman is coming from a disadvantage (famous family), took a gamble and now see the potential. Just my two cents. She says that she wrote a lot of these types of songs and with the music as it is today, there is a market. My next fav is CJ, though I'm not sure how that one would kick off as a single. I know I would love to hear it mainstream.
kendra
kendra
Fan
Fan

Number of posts : 28
Personal text : I love the kids (kiddos)
Registration date : 2008-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Moemoe Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:04 pm

Oh i dont mean to say it negatively. I actually meant that to shut some haters up. The purpose of that was to let people know that she just wants people to hear her music, not to go crazy over it or hype it. Just to know it hear it and understand it! And by her labels desires i was being sarcastic because on some boards they say that solange isnt fufilling the needs. and kendra after reading your post I get it why people are so supportive of people that do well outside USA. My point opf view on the international market has changed....
Moemoe
Moemoe
Just joined
Just joined

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Barz Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:45 pm

I mean she has done well...in a business thats dwindling, she's sold respectively. As pointed out, when promoting this album, she wasn't a household name. So to see her on shows like Tyra, The Jimmy Kimmel Show, and The View, that is an accomplishment in itself. Now she just has to keep getting played on TV and the radio...and I think once people realize that she's extremely creative and talented, she'll be ok, and sell even more records.
Barz
Barz
Fan
Fan

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2008-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by tOyF@N_05 Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:59 am

I believe Solange is doing fine with fulfilling needs back to Geffen considering, they didn't put money on the production of the record (including booklet), and from what I read; the "I Decided" single & album has sold pretty decently. Even better when you think about all the odds being against her.
tOyF@N_05
tOyF@N_05
Fan
Fan

Number of posts : 55
Personal text : I'm A Roller, Just Check My Calendar!!!
Registration date : 2008-08-22

http://www.myspace.com/mrkelis

Back to top Go down

Post by kendra Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:12 am

BG the Prince of Rap, Latoya Jackson! and David Hasselhof which I only knew as far as Knight Rider, (who knew he had a budding musical following in Europe, in other words, really big)...and the first name, how lame is that? Nevertheless great careers, I'm talk'in can't walk down the street large in these countries. Don't get me wrong, as an American and a Sol fan I gets real jealous when I hear of all the love she's giving them, however, make yo money. But we DO want Solangel promoed heavily here too.
kendra
kendra
Fan
Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by tOyF@N_05 Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:24 am

kendra wrote:BG the Prince of Rap, La Toya Jackson! and David Hasselhof which I only knew as far as Knight Rider, (who knew he had a budding musical following in Europe, in other words, really big)...and the first name, how lame is that? Nevertheless great careers, I'm talk'in can't walk down the street large in these countries. Don't get me wrong, as an American and a Sol fan I gets real jealous when I hear of all the love she's giving them, however, make yo money. But we DO want Solangel promoed heavily here too.

I love La Toya!!! She's so AMAZING! and I think her music is a pop force to be reckoned with...
tOyF@N_05
tOyF@N_05
Fan
Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by kendra Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:27 am

I've been seeing a lot of La Toya lately, I'm pretty excited. After reading your comment I will search it. Thanks for sharing. One thing that I forgot to mention is that these labels love longevity. Do ya see a pattern here?
kendra
kendra
Fan
Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by kendra Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 am

Toy, I'm a fan...just that little bit i heard just now, that is for real...
kendra
kendra
Fan
Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by dc3stefan Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:42 pm

Well i'm from the country, where - according to some people - David Hasselhoff is a star (Germany). But if you ask the young people from today, they don't have a clue who this guy this. He was famous in the 80's and early 90's and most old people might still know him for his music & Knight Rider/Baywatch.

Yeah, people from European countries support a lot of international artists, who are not successful in the US: Anastacia (US), Kylie Minogue (Australia), Robbie Williams (UK)...

Seems like Solange didn't get much attention in Europe yet. She was on a few UK-shows, but i didn't see the video a lot on UK Music TV. In Germany the album has been released at the beginning of September, but i didn't see any copy in the stores yet (you can get it at amazon.de though). The single hasn't been released (yet?) and no video on the channels. Sad

So maybe it's good to focus on the US-market first.
dc3stefan
dc3stefan
Fan
Fan

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2008-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by tOyF@N_05 Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:13 am

kendra wrote:Toy, I'm a fan...just that little bit i heard just now, that is for real...

She's such an underdog... Come to think of, most of my fav artists are underdogs (Solange, La Toya J., Dannii Minogue, Ashlee Simpson, etc.)
tOyF@N_05
tOyF@N_05
Fan
Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down